Zoey hit the 10 pound mark today -- 10 lbs, 2 oz! I weighed her on my little newborn scale, which only goes up to 12 lbs, so she's going to outgrow it soon. She literally feels heavier some days, which is encouraging for this new mom. It's exciting to see her grow.
We introduced a bottle of breastmilk a couple of nights ago, which is important if I ever want to be able to leave her alone with Jason or anyone else for more than 3 hours at a time. There is a magic window right around 3-4 weeks of age where a lot of babies will accept a bottle and easily go back and forth between the breast and the bottle without too much confusion or fuss. We're giving her one bottle per day, ideally for the bedtime feeding so that I can get a head start on sleeping before the 3am wakeup call. It took us a while to get good at breastfeeding, so I was a bit nervous about introducing a bottle, but she did great. In fact, she did better than Jason or I did! It was a bit nerve-wracking for Jason to feed her for the first time, because she flails her arms quite a bit and it takes some wrangling to get her in a good position, and she will often yell quite a bit while the wrangling is taking place. As for me, well, I just cried, like a new mama will do when she has to let go of something so intimate as feeding her baby. But hey, it's only one feeding per day that Daddy gets to do with the bottle -- I still get all of the rest of them! :-)
She is on the verge of smiling... stay tuned...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment