Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Poop Saga

Today marks the end of a 9-day-long poop boycott, and we are very, very grateful. For reasons not understood, Zoey held onto everything she ate for NINE DAYS (can you imagine?) and finally let it loose this afternoon. She didn't appear to be in any discomfort or pain during The Situation and was pretty much her happy smiley self the whole time. It became an obsession for Jason and I, however, and actual worry set in at about Day 7.

I took her in for a chiropractic adjustment on Friday when the doc next to our office suggested that she had done lumbar adjustments for other babies and they've been pooping before they left the office. That did not work as immediately as I had mentally prepared myself for. I gave her a fairly deep abdominal massage yesterday (Day 8) as well as some plum/banana/oats (all foods that are supposed to help with moving things out) which she finished up this morning. We were going to try an Epsom salt bath for the bottom this morning, but I got called away to a couple of births, and by the time I got home this afternoon I had a whole lot of milk for her! She had a big meal and took a nap, and when she woke up... poo-poo!! Certainly not nine days worth yet, but definitely a good start. We would have resorted to suppositories tomorrow if it went that long, but we're glad that we didn't have to.

I'm sure there is more to update you all on, but we're going to bed now. I was up all night with a birth, with another one right on its heels this afternoon with lots of excitement, and I'm ready to hit the sack with my baby girl. Happy Poo-Poo Day!

No comments: